Knobstone Trail Run
Saturday, October 12, 2019
Registration is now open for the Knobstone Trail Run.
Join us for our 25th annual event!
Choose between 5K, 10K, 10 mile, and 13 mile (half marathon) courses that wind through the scenic and hilly hardwood forest of Morgan-Monroe State Forest.
Read through the page below, and if you have any questions that are not covered there, please consult our FAQs! There is a very good chance your question is answered either on this page or in the FAQs.
The on-line registration fee is Adult $20, Youth (18 and under) $10. There are no service charges for online registration. Registration closes October 9th midnight or when the 225 limit is met. Note: There are no refunds of race registration or shirt costs. Please consider this carefully before paying!
Check the Entry List below after registration has been completed to see if payment has been made. Use the debit/credit card option on PayPal if you don’t have an account.
Click here to check your entry for completeness → Entry List
The shirt for our 25th annual event is the Sport-Tek® Long Sleeve PosiCharge® Competitor™ Tee. This moisture-wicking shirt is made from 100% spun polyester jersey providing a soft cotton feel. The cost is $16.
Shirt design by TERZink.com.
The courses follow mostly single-track forest trails, and have long, level stretches with some steep hills that are tempered by switchbacks. Trails are flagged at frequent intervals with bright ribbon, and are cleared before the race to ensure they are mostly free of natural debris. A short section of the new bike trail on the east side of Mason Ridge trail near Bean Blossom road will be used for the finish. Aid stations along the courses provide drinks (water and Gatorade) every 2 to 3 miles. Amateur radio operators are stationed at Aid Stations and along other points on the course.
Note: The distances shown on the profile maps are approximate and do not match the distances of the course.
Day of Race Information
Check-in on the day of race begins at 7:30 a.m. (sign waiver form, pick up bib). The race begins at 9:00 a.m. EDT. Please arrive early to help ensure the race starts on time. All race distances start at the same time.
Click here to read important Race Day Information.
Other Important Race Information
- The race will be held on Saturday, October 12, rain or shine!
- Do to race logistics, entries will be limited to 225 runners.
- No dogs will be allowed on the course due to safety and insurance policies.
- Cutoff time for the half-marathon is 11:30 a.m. at Aid Station #4 (10 miles into the race).
- Runners under 18 must run with a parent or guardian.
- Join us at Walls Shelter after the race! Hot soup, snacks, cookies, and other treats will be available. Meet with the HHC volunteers who worked to make the race possible.
- All proceeds benefit the work of the Hoosier Hikers Council to continue building and maintaining hiking and running trails in Indiana.
The 2019 Knobstone Trail Run is a USA Track & Field sanctioned event (sanction number 19-16-017).
If you have questions or need further information, email us or call toll free at 1-855-812-HIKE.
Driving Directions to Starting Area
All courses start at Walls Shelter at the intersection of Bean Blossom Road and Main Forest Road in Morgan-Monroe State Forest, located 35 miles south of Indianapolis off of State Road 37/I-69.
The recommended route to the starting area is to take the Liberty Church Road exit from I-69 (Exit 134) using the new interchange located just south of Martinsville. If you are driving from the north on SR37/I-69, Liberty Church Road is 28.2 miles from I‑465 in Indianapolis. If coming from the south on I-69, Liberty Church Road is 18.2 miles from State Road 46 in Bloomington.
- Take the Liberty Church Road exit from I-69 (Exit 134), and turn east onto Liberty Church Road.
- Travel approximately 0.1 miles, and turn right onto Old Hwy 37 (first road on your right).
- Travel 4.1 miles on Old Hwy 37, and turn left onto Forest Road at the entrance to Morgan-Monroe State Forest.
- Travel 2.8 miles on Forest Road to the starting area at Walls Shelter.
- The driving time from I-69 to the race starting area by this route is approximately 15 minutes.
Here’s a link to the Walls Shelter on Google maps: https://www.google.com/maps/place/39%C2%B018’38.5%22N+86%C2%B025’42.5%22Wemail@example.com,-86.4290142,19z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d39.3106916!4d-86.428467